Hi everyone. Today I am going to talk about my skincare routine. Skin is the largest external organ of our body (largest organ in general) and plays a crucial role in how we look. Skincare is not a one time effort but a regular and continuous process.
CURRENT SKINCARE ROUTINE
- I apply aloe vera gel(can be of any brand but make sure it is of good quality, you can also use the natural raw aloe vera if available) half an hour before I wash my face with a face wash. I am currently using an activated carbon face wash (can be of any brand that suits you) which works well for my skin. It cleanses the pores and removes the dirt and impurities. It also helps in preventing pimples. I personally have oily skin. Carbon face wash works well for all skin types.
- After patting my face dry, I take an ice cube wrap it in a clean cloth and massage it on my face. I place the ice cube on acne (if any) to reduce redness and swelling.
- After a few minutes, I apply a drop or two of aloe vera gel(so that my face doesn’t look oily) and I am good to go.
- You can apply a sunscreen lotion after this step but I don’t use one as I feel my skin is oily and it ends up looking more oily after applying sunscreen lotion. Use as much natural products as you can for your skin (provided it suits you). Harsh chemicals degrades the quality of your skin. Avoid using makeup as much as you can. I rarely use makeup.
- Whenever I feel my skin is getting oily I wash my face thoroughly with water.
- At night I wash my face with activated carbon face wash and apply a layer of aloe vera gel before going to sleep.
- Take extra care of your under eye area, avoid scrubbing and rubbing harshly. You can apply a little aloe vera gel to this area to keep it moisturized.
- I exfoliate my skin 2-3 times a week. Exfoliating removes dead cells from pores making them appear smaller thus revealing fresh skin cells. For those having dry skin exfoliate your skin 1-2 times a week. While exfoliating don’t be harsh on your skin gently massage the scrub on your face. Apply a moisturizer after exfoliating if required.
DIY FACIAL SCRUB:Mix equal quantities of gram flour, sandalwood powder and lemon peel powder. Add to this a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix rosewater or plain water to this mixture and your scrub is ready. You can also use this mixture to gently scrub your lips.
- Pamper your skin with a face-pack once or twice a week.
DIY FACE-PACK:Mix equal quantities of fuller’s earth and sandalwood powder. Add to this a pinch of turmeric powder. Add rosewater (for oily skin) or milk (for dry skin) to this mixture. Make sure the paste is neither to thin nor too thick. Mix well and then apply. Wait for 20-30 minutes and wash it off with normal water. Apply this face-pack twice a week to enjoy smooth and fresh skin.
GENERAL THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND FOR HEALTHY SKIN
- Start your day with a glass of water. I drink 2 glasses of water after I wake up. Water is known to purge toxins from your blood, as a result you get a glowing skin.You can drink more than 2 glasses of water if you can but don’t force yourself. Avoid drinking or eating anything else for an hour before and after drinking water in the morning. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water throughout the day.
- Wash your face thoroughly with water after waking up. Washing your face eliminates oil that accumulates on your skin overnight and also removes unwanted skin contactants,dead skin cells and allergens that may collect on your pillow case and be transferred to your facial skin. Also circulated air from your air conditioner or forced heated air can kick up dust, mold and environmental irritants that may collect on facial skin overnight. So you need to wash your face thoroughly after you get up in the morning.
- Pat your face dry with a clean and soft towel. Preferably keep a separate towel to dry your face.
- Exercise regularly. Exercising leads to sweating, which is our body’s way to release toxins which is good for skin and gives a healthy glow to our skin.
- Eating healthy. Remember what you put into your body is what shows on the outside.
- Avoid touching your face with your hands. If it is urgent make sure you wash your hands before touching your face. Bacteria, viruses and allergens gets transferred from your fingertips onto your skin and may lead to acne.
- Wash your pillowcases at least once a week to prevent germs from accumulating on them and getting transferred to your skin.
- Sleep, one must take 7-9 hours of sleep at night for a healthy looking skin.
- Try to keep your hair and scalp clean. Dirt and dust from your hair can get transferred to your face which can lead to acne, so try keeping your hair away from your face.
- Keep your cellphone’s screen clean. Did you know that a cellphone holds more germs than a toilet seat. Clean your cellphone’s screen 3-4 times a week. You can also clean it regularly if you want to.
- METHOD: Switch off your cellphone. Take a clean paper towel and squeeze a little hand sanitizer on to the clean paper towel and wipe the screen of your smartphone to get rid of all the dirt and germs.
I hope you found these tips helpful. Last but not the least stay happy and be positive.